There's somebody out there who wants what I got goin' on.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I'm baaaack!

The vaca planning is done! I'll be cruising with friends to the Bahamas in Jan! Can't wait!

In other news:

I am downsizing my financial obligations. I have canceled Netflix and cable. That's right, in the area of entertainment I have 3 reliable tv channels (not including the spanish channel, which seems to have reception no matter what), and the internet. Oh well, tv is in kind of a drought for me anyway. LOST isn't on 'til Jan, and I'm losing interest in The Biggest Loser (the only two show I watch regularly). Luckily for me . . . the public library is free! I am reading again! I enjoyed reading during my youth. I stopped reading recreationally in high school because I was required to read for school. Blah.
Books read so far:
The Shipping News - I had an unusual reaction to this one. I think the movie is better :( I know,
I know . . . that's not right. Well, I wasn't very impressed with Annie
Proulx's descriptions. She won the Pulitzer for it for this novel and I really
liked the fragmented writing style because that is how humans think. It
just left something to be desired. I'm giving her another chance. I am
about to start reading Close Range Wyoming Stories. I'll letcha know what
I think.
Cry, The Beloved Country - I LOVED IT!!! I highly recommend everyone read this novel. It is
a look at South Africa in the time preceeding Aparthied. The first chapter
(a mere four paragraphs) was a moving description of the land. I almost
cried. Read it.


A bit of sad news: My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer last month and has already had surgery. I got to spend last week at home with her. The good side is that she is doing suprisingly well. I thought she would be hold up in bed, begging for drugs, but she isn't. It doesn't appear to be genetic since no one else in our family has had breast cancer, but still . . . something to watch out for.

On a lighter note: I am going to be volunteering at the Phoenix filming of Antique's Roadshow! I am super excited but now I need something to take along to be appraised. I'll let y'all know if I will be on tv. I hope I get to keep the t-shirt!

No comments: